Future Food Design Awards
We are looking for the best, radical, innovative and mind-blowing designs that change the way we view the food system!
If you’re interested in entering your project for the Future Food Design Awards, you can find everything you need to know about submitting your entry on this page.
About the FFDA
The goal of the Future Food Design Awards is to stimulate designers that have an important, remarkable and innovative perspective on the food system. We want to give promising ideas the attention they deserve and push for these ideas to be developed further. Moreover, we hope to establish more of a connection between the two worlds of food and design to promote exchange and a more open attitude towards the other’s perspective.
Our jury (t.b.a.) will select three nominees from among all the entries for the audience award of 2,500 EUR, and one winner to receive the jury incentive award of 5,000 EUR. Moreover, your project will be prominently mentioned by our mediapartners Design Indaba & MOLD. The jury will reveal both the winner of the jury award and the winner of the audience award at the FFDA award show during Dutch Design Week 2018 in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
What are we looking for
The FFDA is looking for designs that challenge our conventional view of food. Concepts can range from developing a new food culture to reshuffling the food chain. Issues such as land management, the use of fresh water reserves, the influence of agriculture on climate and the use of scarce resources are issues that are shared worldwide and are all related to food security. Other themes could be contemporary domestic table customs, migration, technology and eating habits. The Future Food Design Awards challenges designers to use their vision of the future of our food as a mirror for all human beings and their food consumption.
What we need from you:
1. A two-minute video that contains the following:
- who you are and what your link to food is
- the title of your project
- the problem/observation your project is related to
- what the design is. Make it as concrete and visual as possible, this could also be a sketch or image, as long as we have a clear and concrete idea about the design
- how the design addresses the problem/observation it refers to
- what the goal of this design is
Before submitting your entry, please read our terms and conditions carefully. Deliver all your materials via this form before 23:59 CET August 12, 2018. You will be notified whether or not you have been nominated by 11th September 2018, at the latest. The awards show will take place during Dutch Design Week 2018 in the city of Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
Calendar & fees
- 29th July 2018 – Early Bird Registration Deadline (€25)
- 12th August 2018 – Standard Registration Deadline (€50)
- 11th September 2018 – Nominees will be notified
- Dutch Design Week 2018 – Results announced during Award Ceremony at Dutch Design Week 2018
The jury will judge the entries on several criteria, the most important of which will be:
- The impact on a healthier, fairer and/or more sustainable future for food ⟶ this is open to broad interpretation and can include raising awareness, contributing to a debate, reaching a wide audience, changing agricultural practices, shaping a new food culture, etc.
- The extent to which creative design and design thinking has been applied in the project and/or the process ⟶ is the design striking, unique and distinct in the field of design, does it demonstrate a vision?
- The degree of urgency and social engagement of the project design ⟶ does the design pose an interesting question at this point in time for society in general?
The FFDA is an initiative of The Dutch Institute of Food&Design and Agri meets Design. The executive partner is Food Cabinet. The awards are supported by Agri meets Design (The Ministry of Agriculture, Nature and Food Quality, The Province of Noord-Brabant, The Province of Overijssel, ZLTO), Brabants Kenniscentrum Kunst en Cultuur (BKKC), Het BankGiro Loterij Fonds, mediapartners MOLD and Design Indaba.